From:
Re: tog log & got-read-pack on the fly:
To:
Martin Pieuchot <mpi@openbsd.org>, gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2019 11:49:50 +0200

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 11:40:41AM +0200, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> I don't see any noticable stalls when scrolling through history.

If you do see stalls and have many pack files in .git/objects/pack,
or many loose objects in .git/objects/[0-9a-f][0-9a-f]/, then try
running 'git repack -a' on your repository and see if that makes
any difference.

Jumping between pack files is expensive because at some point we will
need to close some open pack files and fork new got-read-pack helpers.