From:
Tracey Emery <tracey@traceyemery.net>
Re: Defaulting primary branch name to "main"
To:
Kurt Mosiejczuk <kurt@cranky.work>, gameoftrees <gameoftrees@openbsd.org>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2019 14:47:23 -0600

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 07:02:49PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 01:24:01PM -0400, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> > OpenBSD cvs works on the "MAIN" branch by default. This diff moves got
> > to using "main" by default rather than "master". As a side benefit, it
> > also avoids using the potentially loaded term "master".
>
> I am fine with this change. Apart from the negative connotations of
> the terminology, promoting the idea that branch names are always chosen
> by convention is good. Having a different default branch name than Git
> helps to spread the idea that branch names aren't necessarily the same
> everywhere.

Is this going to require a new got branch rename function? It's going to
get confusing to go between got generated trees and git generated trees
when managing both with got. I don't know. Maybe it doesn't matter and
after time, everyone will get used to the change.

> > I'm having trouble with the regression test test_import_requires_new_branch.
> > I'm not seeing why it fails. I did verify it doesn't fail before my changes
> > though. Maybe someone can point out what I broke.
>
> The test assumes that the repository created by the test_init() function
> contains a 'master' branch which will collide with the default 'master'
> branch which is used by got import without your patch.
> You can either modify the test to pass '-b master' to 'got import',
> or add a 'main' branch in the Git repository at the beginning of the test,
> or perhaps even modify test_init() to create a 'main' branch instead of
> 'master' in all tests (which might cause additional test fallout).
>
> Regarding the man page changes:
>
> > -Fetch new upstream commits into the local repository's master branch.
> > +Fetch new upstream commits into the local repository's main branch.
> >  This step currently requires
> >  .Xr git 1 :
> >  .Pp
> >  .Dl $ cd /var/git/src.git
> > -.Dl $ git fetch origin master:master
> > +.Dl $ git fetch origin main:main

This is what I mean. I've already trained myself repeatedly with the
master:master option. I suppose, it won't matter once gotd is done. I
like the change, but it's going to take a lot of brain to adapt! :D

--

Tracey Emery