From:
Re: Defaulting primary branch name to "main"
To:
Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2019 13:02:11 +1100

  • Stefan Sperling:

    Defaulting primary branch name to "main"

    > On 2 Nov 2019, at 11:26 am, Jerome Kasper <neon.king.fr@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > Le 01/11/2019 à 21:47, Tracey Emery a écrit :
    >>> I am fine with this change. Apart from the negative connotations of
    >>> the terminology, promoting the idea that branch names are always chosen
    >>> by convention is good. Having a different default branch name than Git
    >>> helps to spread the idea that branch names aren't necessarily the same
    >>> everywhere.
    >>>
    >> Is this going to require a new got branch rename function? It's going to
    >> get confusing to go between got generated trees and git generated trees
    >> when managing both with got. I don't know. Maybe it doesn't matter and
    >> after time, everyone will get used to the change.
    > I do agree with Tracey , I am also wondering if this is not going to create some confusion
    > just to match cvs behaviour for the fun of "being different" (no offense intended)
    > Do we need to create volountary mismatches with usual git behaviour? It would create
    > harder sync with usual various git repositories,because it would probably mean overhead
    > in other developpement cases.

    I also agree with Tracey; it’s inconducive to seamless integration with most existing practices.
    And an unexpected behaviour considering the synopsis on gameoftrees.org

    >>> Same here.
    > Stefan, you're GoT father, choice belongs to you :)

    Very clever. GoTfather is great!
    And completely agree: the GoTfather’s decision will be supported regardless.

    > Kind regards,
    > Jerome

  • Stefan Sperling:

    Defaulting primary branch name to "main"