From:
"Todd C. Miller" <Todd.Miller@sudo.ws>
Re: faster history traversal for 'got blame'
To:
Martin Pieuchot <mpi@openbsd.org>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Tue, 07 Jan 2020 07:10:00 -0700

On Tue, 07 Jan 2020 13:02:13 +0100, Martin Pieuchot wrote:

> Don't forget to look at the numbers in the brackets!  (0.00%) means the
> function is cheap but its children aren't.  Which bring the following
> question: is the diff implementation slow because of the syscalls it
> does?  Or because of the kernel implementation of such syscalls?  Did
> someone try on another OS?

Our diff is slow because it uses old, slow algorithms.  I've been
meaning to rewrite the guts of diff to use modern algorithms for
over 15 years.  I wouldn't mind if someone else did that :-)

 - todd