From:
Re: FreeBSD port summary
To:
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 2020 11:08:33 +0200

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 12:10:50AM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> So I have a FreeBSD port for got 0.39.  See the end of this message
> for a list of patches, additional library functions, and interposed
> header files.
>
> Some of this is unavoidable, e.g. FreeBSD has no bsd.regress.mk.
> There are various odds and ends, but apart from OpenBSD-specific
> APIs the principal issues are...
>
> Code:
> * FreeBSD deviates from POSIX and has open(symlink, NO_FOLLOW)
>   return EMLINK instead of ELOOP.
> * Mismatches around int64_t, time_t, and format strings.
>
> Shell scripts (regress/cmdline):
> * OpenBSD followed GNU sed(1) and introduced -i with an optional
>   argument.  FreeBSD added -i with a mandatory argument.  There
>   is no way to specify an empty suffix that satisfies both
>   syntaxes.
> * mktemp(1) is non-standard, and despite FreeBSD having copied it
>   from OpenBSD, they are now somewhat incompatible.
>
> Except for test_log_in_worktree_different_repo, all regression tests
> succeed.  This may be a related bug:
>
> $ got co got.git
> got: realpath: /home/naddy/got: No such file or directory
>
> (An explicit "got co got.git got" works fine.)
>
> Anyway, I'll import this into the FreeBSD ports tree soon.

Will this be maintained exclusively in the FreeBSD ports tree?
Or do you want to re-use some existing project infrastructure?

E.g. do you want a "got-freebsd" repo on git.gameoftrees.org?
This could serve as a collaboration point with others who are
interested in this port. You could add a branch to this -freebsd
repo which tracks the main branch of the OpenBSD version like a
vendor branch. Then you could use 'git merge' to sync the two (not
currently possible with got, but a 'got merge' command would be
easy to add if you want it).

I could also improve management of the website. Currently it is
just plain files on disk, and I use a private Mercurial repo to
store the files. I could publish a 'www' git repo and configure
automatic deployment. Then you could add a freebsd-specific page
to the site and publish your own distfiles into the releases/
subdirectory which the freebsd port could fetch.