From:
Raf Czlonka <rczlonka@gmail.com>
Re: make 'got add' robert-compatible
To:
Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name>
Cc:
"Todd C. Miller" <Todd.Miller@sudo.ws>, gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2021 11:53:49 +0100

On Thu, Jul 08, 2021 at 11:28:44AM BST, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 11:18:03PM +0100, Raf Czlonka wrote:
> > Given that even "*.core" files find their way to OpenBSD repositories[0],
> > a warning or error message at some point is in order, IMHO.
>
> I don't see a need for an extra error or warning because with this
> patch invocations like 'got add *' will never add files which match the
> ignore list by default. I will only add such files with the -I option.
>
> So the result is:
>
> Safe by default: got add *
>
> Not safe: got add -I *

Hi Stefan,

I was only echoing Todd's concern:

On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 04:55:16PM BST, Todd C. Miller wrote:

> This sounds safer for "got add *" but what happens if you do "got
> add foo.core"?  Is there an error message or will it silently add
> nothing?

To which you agreed that it was much better than the current patch,
and to which Todd replied "LGTM":

On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 06:14:25PM BST, Stefan Sperling wrote:

> One option is to list ignored files as such, using a new status code.
> I've already played with this. An earlier version of my patch printed this:
>
>  $ got add foo.core
>  I foo.core
>  $

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear - by "a warning or an error
message", I meant the above, i.e. the "status code" :^)

> This tells the user why foo.core wasn't added, which on the surface
> seems much better than the behaviour implemented by my current patch,
> which looks like this:
>
>  $ got add foo.core
>  $

And "at some point" as opposed to "never" would be good since, if
there was an internal hard-coded ignore list, it would avoid some
serious head scratching should the below failed silently:

	$ got add foo.core

I think we're on the same page :^)

Cheers,

Raf