From:
Re: tog: handle Home/End for log and diff views
To:
Theo Buehler <tb@theobuehler.org>
Cc:
Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>, gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2021 19:32:02 +0200

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 07:01:15PM +0200, Theo Buehler wrote:
> > > That does not resemble vi(1) at all.
>
> agreed.
>
> > For me, Ctrl+U moves to the top when vi is in normal mode.
>
> This scrolls up half the screen unless you've previously given a
> count to Ctrl+U or Ctrl+D (which is the inverse operation).

There is no requirement to match vi's behaviour 100%.

My keyboard lacks a Home key so to test Jasper's diff I needed to
find another key that is not used yet. I came up with U (for "up").

Jasper then figured out that Ctrl+U is already used for upwards motion
in some programs, such as vi. So it became Ctrl+U.

Later on jrick pointed out that 'g' is used in less(1) for moving
to the first line of the file. So we decided to provide it as well
for people already used to this motion.

Would you prefer to drop Ctrl+u and keep only 'g'? Fine with me.

My only concern about 'g' and 'G' is that it is easy to type one when
you wanted the other if your timing on the shift key is slightly off.