From:
Subject:
Pointer sign warnings
To:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2021 16:48:40 +0200

OpenBSD modifies clang so that no pointer sign warnings are issued
by default.  When compiling Got(-portable) on FreeBSD, I'm hit with
a lot of warnings like this:

warning: passing 'const char *' to parameter of type 'const unsigned
char *' converts between pointers to integer types with different sign

Although harmless, they make it harder to notice actual problems.

How do we want to handle this?  Adapt the world to Got or vice versa?

We could add -Wno-pointer-sign to -portable.  It's what I did for
my existing FreeBSD port.

Alternatively, I could sit down and try to eliminate the warnings
by adjusting the type of buffer variables etc.  I guess that will
take a recursive approach: Start at the calls of external interfaces
(zlib...), then work up the call chain.  If we go down that route,
I suggest that we later add -Wpointer-sign to the development CFLAGS.