From:
Thomas Adam <thomas@xteddy.org>
Re: reuse deltas while packing
To:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2022 15:57:24 +0000

  • Stefan Sperling:

    reuse deltas while packing

  • Thomas Adam:

    reuse deltas while packing

  • Stefan Sperling:

    reuse deltas while packing

  • On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 03:01:04PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:

    Hi,

    > This patch adds initial support for reusing existing deltas while
    > creating new pack files. This is important for achieving useful
    > performance, especially on a server which is serving 'got clone'.
    > Clients which want to upload large pack files, e.g. to populate
    > an empty repository on a server, will also benefit from this.

    This looks great to me.  No concerns about the implementation (there's one
    minor tweak to make this compile on -portable, but will fix that up separately
    once this patch is merged).

    In the testing I've done, I'm seeing an average performance improvement of
    ~20% which is great for most repositories I end up using.  As you've noted,
    openbsd.git is a special case -- and that takes about 45 minutes for me to
    repack, as does FreeBSD's git repo -- but they're at the extreme end of what I
    would class as a typical repository size.

    Kindly,
    Thomas

  • Stefan Sperling:

    reuse deltas while packing