From:
Re: reuse deltas while packing
To:
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2022 12:40:27 +0100

  • Stefan Sperling:

    reuse deltas while packing

  • On Mon, Feb 07, 2022 at 12:49:56PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
    > Sorry, I didn't get as far as testing the diff, since the comparison
    > run with the old code already suffered problems:
    >
    > * My first attempt ran out of /tmp space.  4.8G was not enough.

    Caching deltas in compressed form in the future could help with this.

    > * Related to that: With more /tmp space, "gotadmin pack" eventually
    >   wrote a 4.7G pack file.  The original git clone of the repository
    >   has only a 1.4G pack file.

    Yes, deltas we generate are significantly larger than those generated
    by Git. Reusing deltas generated by Git will help keep our packs a bit
    smaller, for now. We can also look at ways of making our own deltas
    smaller. With delta-reuse in place we may be able to afford additional
    run-time cost if that would help with creating smaller deltas. There are
    space/time trade-offs we can make by tuning deltification parameters.

    However, the deltification algorithms implemented by Git and Got are not
    the same. It is possible that a significant difference will always remain
    unless we rewrite code inherited from git9 and use a different approach.

  • Stefan Sperling:

    reuse deltas while packing