From:
ori@eigenstate.org
Re: reuse deltas while packing
To:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2022 00:57:14 -0500

Quoth ori@eigenstate.org:
> eanwhile with git9, but starting with a repo cloned with
> torvalds git (since we pick a different set of commits):
>
> 	% dircp /mnt/term/tmp/freebsd-src freebsd-src
> 	% du -sh .git/objects/pack
> 	2.32957G	.git/objects/pack
>
> 	% git/repack
> 	% du -sh .git/objects/pack
> 	2.43166G	.git/objects/pack
>
> So, for this repo, Torvalds git is better than us by a larger
> margin than expected, but a smaller margin than observed with
> Got. I'll look into improving the delta search.

Playing with it, if I reduce the minimum chunk
size to 32, the pack gets significantly smaller:

	1.6188G	eecede5b54cafd33515f01101c139b098370ec3a.pack

And switching from sha1 to murmurhash2 for the delta
hash table is a significant speedup.  It drops the time
to repack the plan9front repo from 67 seconds to 48
seconds.