From:
Thomas Adam <thomas@xteddy.org>
portable: renaming the default branch: linux -> portable
To:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2022 19:24:51 +0000

  • Thomas Adam:

    portable: renaming the default branch: linux -> portable

Hello all,

Per my previous email about -portable supporting multiple operating systems,
the default branch of `linux` is now misleading, as this also works for some
of the BSDs and MacOS.

As such, I plan on renaming the default branch of `linux` to `portable` to
better reflect what's supported.

In terms of GoT releases most downstream packagers are probably using the
release tarballs from the gameoftrees.org website.  That being said, I cannot
rule out some Linux distros tracking the -portable git repository.

Clearly, renaming this branch would break any git workflows some
distributions might be using -- but the userbase is small enough such that the
impact of renaming this branch should be OK.

But I wanted to give any packagers advance notice that this will happen -- I'm
hopeful sometime next week.  This should also give users a chance of alerting
packagers to this as well -- and I encourage anyone reading this to do so.

As always, if anyone has any questions, feel free to let me know.

Kindly,
Thomas