From:
Re: handle reference arguments that look like short object IDs
To:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2022 22:37:09 +0100

Stefan Sperling:

> commit c9d2182094098f4ceb70560b5df9a76f7d6b5865 (match-refs-first)
> from: Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name>
> date: Mon Mar  7 10:40:57 2022 UTC
>
>  handle reference arguments which look like short object IDs
>
>  Match command line arguments against references before matching object IDs.
>  This makes it possible to use reference names that happen to match a short
>  object ID.

ok naddy

It looks like
  add_ref()
  cmd_cherrypick()
  cmd_backout()
don't use got_repo_match_object_id() and have hand-rolled code that
matches the old logic.

Also, got_repo_match_object_id_prefix() accepts hex strings of
unlimited length as a prefix.  I can't tell if that is a forward-thinking
feature or an omission.