"GOT", but the "O" is a cute, smiling sun Index | Thread

From:
Mark Jamsek <mark@jamsek.com>
Re: [rfc] got diff -v|--verbose
To:
Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2022 02:08:53 +1000

On 22-06-16 05:43pm, Omar Polo wrote:
> Mark Jamsek <mark@jamsek.com> wrote:
> > On 22-06-17 12:59am, Mark Jamsek wrote:
> > > I habitually use {fossil,git} diff -v to see the diff I'm committing in
> > > vim when editing the commit message. It saves me all the time from
> > > missing things (see my previous commits for example).
> > >
> > > Any objections to adding this?
> > >

> > s/diff/commit
> >
> > got commit -v
>
> I didn't know about `fossil/git diff -v', but in general I'd like the
> idea.
>
> one thing that I like about the VC system in Emacs is that when I'm
> committing things from there I can really easily (C-c C-d) toggle the
> diff of what I'm about to commit.  (this works with vc-got too because
> Emacs doesn't run `got commit' until I tell it to commit, so `got diff'
> still works.)

I just started using emacs recently for orgmode; I've never coded in it
though as I'm too used to vim but I might have to check that out now
you've mentioned it. Thanks!

> what i'd really like, even more than putting the diff in the log edit
> buffer with all the consequences it has (i.e. that special line to
> differentiate between the log message and the diff), would be for `got
> diff' to work while `got commit' is waiting for the editor.
>
> (blatantly a feature request since I haven't looked into how hard would
> be and which consequences it would have.)
>
> to be honest thought I got used to open an xterm with `got di | less' in
> it before doing a commit from the command line.

Yes, this or Stefan's suggestion is what I'll start doing now.

--
Mark Jamsek <fnc.bsdbox.org>
GPG: F2FF 13DE 6A06 C471 CA80  E6E2 2930 DC66 86EE CF68