From:
Re: tog: nG key map like vi(1) and less(1)
To:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2022 15:24:50 +0200

Mark Jamsek:

> I didn't think it made sense to add this to the log, tree, and ref
> views; but if you think we should make it global, I'm happy to expand
> it.

As of yesterday, the FreeBSD src repository had 3802 references.
I think nG would be helpful for navigating those in the ref view.

The directory regress/lib/libcrypto/x509/bettertls/certificates/
in the OpenBSD src repository holds about 11,000 files.  Again, I
think nG could be helpful for navigating those in the tree view.
Or, you know, just the 718 in share/man/man4.  (Currently, the tree
view doesn't show the number of the selected item.  That should be
added separately.)

A few weeks ago I was digging through old BSD history via the Git
conversion of the Berkeley CSRG's repository, and although people
will suggest the use of / search, I think nG could be helpful in
the log view, too, when dealing with repositories with 100,000+
commits.  For instance, it lends itself to a binary search to locate
commits around an approximate date.

So, yes, I'd love for this feature to be available in all views.

> naddy suggested a while back that this makes the g key map somewhat
> redundant as 1G satisfies this use case, so we could be more like
> vi(1) and remove g; however, less(1) provides g so there's precedent for
> both.

I'm fine with keeping g, however, in that case I suggest that g
should also take an optional line number, as it does in less(1).
So g and G would be the same, except for the default action if no
numeric prefix is provided.