From:
Re: tog: extend log view headline highlight
To:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2022 20:02:04 +0200

Stefan Sperling:

> Would making the A_BOLD attribute make sense? Try this:

(Jumping on this, I haven't followed the thread at all.)

I would like to request restraint when it comes to text attributes.
Ergononomically, the fewer and better-distinguished attributes there
are, the easier they are to process for the user.

I also remember the times when terminals couldn't do this.  I guess
the VGA text console is obsolescent, but VGA text mode cannot
underline and it cannot do bold.  It can do "intense", which
traditionally serves as bold, but that intersects with the color
space: either you have 16 colors, or you have 8 colors and bold.
And when you choose 8 colors and bold, then you cannot have, for
instance, yellow, because that always requires the intensity bit.