From:
Re: tog: runtime help
To:
Mikhail <mp39590@gmail.com>
Cc:
Mark Jamsek <mark@jamsek.com>, Game of Trees <gameoftrees@openbsd.org>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2022 12:15:22 +0200

On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 01:06:27PM +0300, Mikhail wrote:
> I use OpenBSD snap, xterm and fixed font, with this setup I see
> rectangles around some chars, default font don't support those angle
> brackets, is it something to be considered, and maybe replaced with
> usual < > symbols?

OpenBSD's default behaviour is still tuned towards ASCII-only.
When using UTF-8 you should also configure a font which can display
the fancy glyphs. The Dejavu font should work: In ~/.Xdefaults:
  XTerm*Font: -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--18-120-100-100-C-90-ISO10646-1
At least it was working for me 12 years ago:
https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20100729233638
Nowadays I use gnome/xfce where fonts are nice out of the box.