From:
Re: ignore config files with non-exclusive ownership
To:
Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2022 14:31:06 +0200

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 02:11:12PM +0200, Omar Polo wrote:
> There is maybe another thing we can do: ignore most (all?) the
> options in shared repositories instead of failing, and requiring
> users to fill that data in their worktree' got.conf.
>
> At least options like `author' and `signer_id' don't really make
> sense to be in a shared got.conf. `allowed_signers' and `revoked_signers'
> are potentially harmful if under the control of another user.

Same as with remote repositories, users need to set up per-worktree
overrides. Which can sucks a bit.

We could add a third config layer in ~/.got.conf which could sit between
per-worktree and per-repo configs in terms of priority. However, this
would need to use different syntax to allow for per-repository config
items. An implied repository scope cannot be inferred from this file's
location. So this would get confusing quickly.

> Ignoring the configuration only in some circumstances however can
> be confusing.

Yes.

> Tangential to the subject, but still marginally applicable, should
> we make `got fetch' and `got send' print the full address?  i.e.
>
> 	% got send
> 	Connecting to "origin" ssh://git@foobar.com/path/to/repo.git

Good idea.