From:
Re: require space between commit author name and email
To:
Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org, landry@openbsd.org
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2022 10:41:43 +0100

On 2022/10/31 10:20:58 +0100, Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name> wrote:
> Require space between commit author name and email, for Git compatibility.
>
> Allowing such author fields breaks 'got send' towards Github for affected
> commits because git-index-pack --strict will error out on the server:
>
> $ git index-pack --strict pack-de791fb6a3a1961e44ac5d98d72fd533bf9277c8.pack
> error: object 5d6bde9eaaf27f41ae8fa7112bb45e489d3c16b9: missingSpaceBeforeEmail:
>     invalid author/committer line - missing space before email
> fatal: fsck error in packed object
>
> Problem encountered by landry@.
>
> ok?

ok op@

and sorry Landry for not checking closely what git actually wants.
Now that I re-read valid_author I'm wondering whether git is happy
with all possible chars except \n and NUL in it, I'd be surprised
if it's happy with other control characters.  But we can fix that
later, let's get this in for the time being.