From:
Ted Bullock <tbullock@comlore.com>
Subject:
Usability and working with remote trees
To:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2023 14:41:47 -0700

Hiya Folks,

I asked back in November about the preferred workflow for keeping
abreast of a remote tree (like say the OpenBSD git mirror, or the GOT
tree for instance). As a regular mortal man who toys with the tool once
every month or so at the moment I regularly forget which commands are
necessary to update each respective tree.

Since my muscle memory for the tool isn't super sharp, I'd say there is
a command missing which wraps up everything into a little package.

For instance to update the GOT tree:

$ got fetch
$ got update -b origin/main
$ got rebase main

However the OpenBSD github mirror has different alias references and
requires:

$ got fetch
$ got update -b origin/master
$ got rebase master

I guess the dilemma is that I forget that which tree has which
references so every update in each tree I also have to run:

$ got branch -l

So I learn what the tree actually thinks it wants to use.  It's a little
tedious and perhaps confusing; especially since I am using the software
so casually at the moment. Again, notably the openbsd github mirror and
GOT tree have different names.

It would be nice if I could specify a working branch for a given tree
(perhaps at checkout time) and GOT would remember that without me
needing to pull open the list of branches every time I want to sync to
the latest code. Emotionally I think a vanilla `got update` with no
qualifiers should do this by the way. But maybe I'm crazy? Dunno.

Thanks anyways folks.

--
Ted Bullock <tbullock@comlore.com>