From:
Re: abort commit if merged log messages are left as-is
To:
Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2023 23:25:16 +0100

On Mon, Feb 06, 2023 at 09:41:18AM +0100, Omar Polo wrote:
> maybe for the commit/cherrypick case we could count the initial
> "comment" line as part of the commit message?  it'd still be possible
> to abort the operation and the message preserved if really desired to.
> just wondering.

You are suggesting that we treat the log message as modified as soon as
the user deletes one or more # comments that we put into the initial
template? This sounds like a reasonable idea.

For the 'commit' case, if someone is editing only # comments, then
the commit should still error out because of an empty commit message,
once the comments get stripped.

And it is true that reusing a log message as-is will be common practice
in the cherrpick case in particular. Not so sure about backout. But the
rules should be the same for both commands, otherwise it gets too confusing.
Ideally, we'd have one set of rules that works for commit/cherrypick/etc.
And it seems like what you are suggesting should work.