From:
Re: abort commit if merged log messages are left as-is
To:
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2023 20:04:41 +0100

On Thu, Feb 09, 2023 at 07:54:00PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Stefan Sperling:
>
> > -where the messages must be further adjusted to convey the reasons for
> > +where the messages should be further adjusted to convey the reasons for
> >  cherrypicking the changes.
> > +At the very least, comment lines must be removed.
> > +Otherwise
> > +.Cm got commit
> > +will fail with an unmodified log message error.
>
> Oh, the log message must be actually modified?  Can't you just
> compare mtime before/after, so for instance :w! in vi would be
> enough to convey that the message has been touched even if the file
> content stays identical?

Yes, that might be a good idea indeed.
There would be no way to reverse your decision to commit once the
timestamp has been changed. But I guess that is fine. There is
always 'histedit' to repair mistakes before sending.