From:
Re: [rfc] regress: add line number to failure output
To:
Mark Jamsek <mark@jamsek.com>
Cc:
Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com>, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>, gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2023 10:15:51 +0100

On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 07:57:11PM +1100, Mark Jamsek wrote:
> I had a little look to try accomplish this without passing $LINENO to
> test_done() everywhere but came up empty :(
>
> But, then I thought, for those older systems that don't have LINENO,
> could we just keep our current output, and only print op's suggested
> $filename.sh:$LINENO if it is supported?
>
> That way, only meaningful information will be reported where it can,
> with no change otherwise.
>
> It probably feels like more of a boon than it is because both op and
> I have lately had relevant situations where it is indeed useful, but
> I'd also hazard a guess that they won't be the last :)
>
> OTOH, it's a lot of $LINENO!

I am wondering why I never saw a need for this myself.

I do sometimes add 'set -x' into test functions in stragic places to see
a trace of the commands being run along with the test failure. Once I
have managed to fix a test I remove its 'set -x' lines again.
Does that solve the same problem?

I also often comment out tests in the long list at the bottom of
the file in order to run a single test case. I wish there was a
better solution but so far as it has not bothered me too much.