From:
Subject:
[portable] Minor complaints
To:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2023 00:31:35 +0100

I finally took an absurdly overdue look at building -portable on
FreeBSD, since I would like to base the official FreeBSD port on
it, and I have some complaints^Wremarks.

(1) The build lines are absurdly long, like 3200+ characters long.
This really needs some sort of config.h instead of passing 130+
defines on the command line.

(2) There are 48 -Wpointer-sign warnings about mixing char* and
unsigned char*.  OpenBSD disables those warnings by default in
clang, FreeBSD doesn't.  Any important warnings will go unnoticed
in this glut.  Either -portable needs -Wno-pointer-sign or it might
be possible to mostly clean this up in got "main".  OpenSSH-portable
uses -Wno-pointer-sign.

(3) Everything is linked with everything.  The got command is linked
with libncurses and libevent_core.  That actually gets in the way
of multi-packaging, should somebody desire to do so.  (FreeBSD's
port infrastructure doesn't support it yet.)

Yes, yes, "send patches", I hear you. :-)

PS: This is in no way intended to disparage Thomas's work.