From:
Thomas Adam <thomas@xteddy.org>
-portable: changing linux branch to portable
To:
Game of Trees <gameoftrees@openbsd.org>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2023 17:26:31 +0000

Hey all,

Some of you might well be aware that there's been a lot of changes to the
-portable repo, as we're trying to improve this for adoption in FreeBSD's
ports. It's been a lot of fun getting things to this point, and I have to
thank naddy for his hard work as well.

In reflecting about this, I think the time has come to officially rename
the 'linux' branch in -portable, to 'portable', to better reflect that this
is no longer just about compilation on linux.

Different hosting services have different policies around how easy this
change is, and how backwards compatible such a change is. I know for some
it could be a jarring/breaking change.

The work naddy and I have done isn't merged to the 'linux' branch yet, but
when that happens, and as of the next -portable release, I really want to
then, rename the default branch.

So this is a head's up that this will happen, and to plan accordingly.
Letting downstream packagers know of this will help!

Any questions please let me know.

Kindly,
Thomas