From:
Re: tog unable to view history of renamed file
To:
Ted Bullock <tbullock@comlore.com>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:51:04 +0200

On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 03:27:43PM -0600, Ted Bullock wrote:
> The behavior I found odd is that with the work tree rewound to a commit
> with the file there on the disk, it said it couldn't identify it.

Yes, this is suboptimal but ultimately other version control systems
have the same issues. It is simply impossible to navigate the history
of a version control repository based on path inputs alone. There
will always be some ambiguity that needs to be resolved by the user.

For prior art, see https://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#hidden-log
and https://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.pegrevs.html