From:
Re: tog: "search wrapped" notifications
To:
Mikhail <mp39590@gmail.com>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2023 18:03:25 +1000

On 23-05-01 09:05AM, Mikhail wrote:
> On Mon, May 01, 2023 at 12:10:32PM +1000, Mark Jamsek wrote:
> > PS. I don't know how but I missed op's message in the linked thread
> > (pasting here for convenience):
> >
> > ----8<------------
> > maybe we could have tog display "no more matches" and stop.  Then, if
> > n is pressed again right after, it wraps.
> >
> > This is the standard behaviour of isearch on Emacs, which I find quite
> > nice since it's clear when you have reached the last match and can still
> > wrap around if you want to.
> > ------------>8----
> >
> > I really like this idea!
> >
> > If this is something you would like, too, Mikhail, and have the time to
> > implement, this would be nice to have. Otherwise I can do this after
> > exams in a few weeks.
>
> I think non-vim/non-less behaviour can confuse users (it would confuse
> me).

I'm admittedly a fan of vim and in particular vim bindings and enjoy
using them everywhere I can, but I'm not sure confining tog to vi- or
less-like behaviour as a rule is appropriate.  We already have some
emacs bindings, for example, and I know there are tog users who are also
emacs or mg(1) users (there are undoubtedly more than I'm aware); it's
probably not too presumptuous to think they won't find op's suggestion
confusing. Specially this case as it's not a significant change to the
current behaviour. In fact, it really keeps it but with more hints to
improve situational awareness. So I think taking good ideas--IFF there
is some consensus they are "good"--is a more sensible approach than
limiting the set of potential UI changes to vi(1) or less(1).

And in this case--despite the fact it comes from emacs--I think op's
suggestion is a good idea :)

--
Mark Jamsek <fnc.bsdbox.org|got.bsdbox.org>
GPG: F2FF 13DE 6A06 C471 CA80  E6E2 2930 DC66 86EE CF68