From:
Alexander Arkhipov <aa@manpager.net>
Subject:
anonymous gotsh user's password entry and security(8)
To:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2023 17:39:28 +0300

Sorry if that's been asked before: I've read the gotd(8), gotsh(1) and
got.conf(5) man pages, and searched through the list, but can't find the
information.

I have anonymous gotd set up on an OpenBSD box. The password entry looks
like this:

anon::1006:1006::0:0:Anon:/var/empty:/usr/local/bin/gotsh

However, I get daily messages to my mail like so:

> Running security(8):
>
> Checking the /etc/master.passwd file:
> Login anon has no password.

I have also read security(8), and the script /usr/libexec/security
itself. It seems that an exception is only ever made for the user
anoncvs running anoncvssh.

		nag $pwd eq '' && !($name eq 'anoncvs' &&
				    $shell =~ /\/anoncvssh$/),
		    "Login $name has no password.";

So, is there something special I need to do to get rid of these
messages? Do I just make an ad-hoc modification of the script and wait
for better times?

Alexander