From:
Re: gotadmin: log progress to stderr
To:
Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2023 10:59:39 +0200

On Thu, Jul 06, 2023 at 10:17:21AM +0200, Omar Polo wrote:
> I'd like for the upcoming dump subcommand to output on stdout, so this
> changes gotadmin' progres_* functions to output the progress on stderr
> and adjusts the regress when needed.
>
> I'm currently reusing the pack_progress() function that's why I
> noticed.  I could write a new callback that logs on stderr, and sooner
> or later `dump' will need its own progress function, but would be the
> only one, so this is really to see what do you think and see if I can
> get by without a -o flag for dump.

Why not use a separate progress callback for gotadmin dump right away?
It is fine if gotadmin dump reports progress on stderr when stdout is
used for the dump stream. But I don't see why other gotadmin commands
would have to do the same. Forcing this on every command seems like the
wrong way to apply consistency. This won't be compatible with user
expectations when running other gotadmin commands. And going forward,
every new gotadmin command we ever add in the future would have to take
extra steps to avoid using stdout. Putting the burden of handling this
special case on the dump command only seems more reasonable to me.