From:
Re: using tog(1) as an alternative to gotwebd(8) (anonymous access)
To:
"Lorenz (xha)" <me@xha.li>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2023 14:59:11 +0200

On Wed, Oct 04, 2023 at 01:02:24PM +0200, Lorenz (xha) wrote:
> hi gameoftrees@,
>
> i've been trying to get more away from web browsers and since i really
> like the interface of tog i am curious if i could allow anonymous tog
> access via ssh using a shell script like this:
>
> ```
> #!/bin/sh
> repository='$1'
>
> echo "to view the tree of a commit, press T"
> echo "see got(1) for a full manual page"
> read
>
> cd '$repository'
>
> tog
> ```
>
> i obviously would need to ensure that the variable $1 doesn't contain
> something like "..". i would probably do a switch case to make sure that
> only repos i want can actually be viewed.
>
> i couldn't find anything on the mailling lists that anyone has ever
> tried this. since tog only allows read-only access, this would be fine,
> right?
>
> - lorenz

I don't think this is safe since you are giving visitors a shell.
A visitor could probably type Ctrl-Z, moving tog into the background, and
then run commands.

The safe way to do this is to run gotd, allowing users to fetch a clone of
your repository anonymously with gotsh as their server-side login shell,
and then let them view the cloned repository in whatever way they prefer.