From:
Re: gotwebd: get rid of proc.[ch]
To:
Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2023 00:09:40 +0100

On 2023/11/15 19:46:57 +0100, Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com> wrote:
> On 2023/11/15 18:42:14 +0100, Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com> wrote:
> > proc.c really shines when there's a net of different kinds of processes
> > with potentially many instances that needs to talk.  gotwebd instead is
> > just a main process for the privileged operations plus a bunch of
> > unpriviled workers.
> >
> > using proc.c here only really caused some headaces, so here's a proposal
> > to remove it.  it needs some testing, but some preliminary testing
> > locally promises good :)
> >
> > There's something regarding the verbose logging that I still need to
> > figure out exactly, but otherwise seems to be working just as before.
>
> Found it.  The logging handling in the child was wrong, plus in
> log_debug() we log only if verbose > 1.  Now, we don't do anything
> special for the case verbose == 1 so I just 'lowered' log_debug() to one
> -v.
>
> > There are now two main routines that I expect will be used to send
> > messages:
> >
> >  - main_compose_sockets(): send an imsg (with optional fd) to the
> >    sockets processes.  The file descriptor is dup'ed as needed.
> >    This alone semplifies most of the loops in config.c
> >
> >  - sockets_compose_main(): to send messages the other ways.
> >
> > There is no iov variant since we don't need them so far, will be easy to
> > add eventually.
> >
> > The imsgev structs now live in the main gotwebd struct.  The parent
> > allocates enough entries for the children it needs to run, while each
> > child only initialize one to talk with the parent.
> >
> > Maybe my hands slipped and there's more fixing that strictly needed...

Another small difference with proc.c is that I'm not calling setsid()
anymore, so for e.g. ctrl-c gets delivered to all processes and not only
to the parent.  No big reasoning behind it, while writing
spawn_socket_process() I just thought it wasn't strictly needed and
skipped it.  Yet, feels like something I should have pointed out.