From:
Re: got-archive(1) (now with a patch)
To:
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2023 00:42:23 +0100

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 09:48:03PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Benjamin Stürz:
>
> > Here's a patch implementing a WIP archive command.
>
> Would it make more sense to just have an "export" command (like
> svn) that creates a tree without any .got metadata, and leave tar
> and compression as an external step?  Combining both into a command
> like "git archive" seems bizarre to me.

Of course, we could add an 'export' command easily.

However, it wouldn't solve my needs for managing releases of Got.
I believe that having something which verifies archive contents
against a known packing list has value. It's like what OpenBSD is
doing with its distrib set lists when building snapshots.

Not having to write custom Makefile rules for this use case would be nice.
Projects which ship source code could use this feature to prevent
mistakes and avoid invention of custom solutions.