From:
Re: got ref -l tags?
To:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2024 21:55:53 +0100

Stefan Sperling:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 08:23:27PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>
> > Because in the FreeBSD src.git, they are not:
> >
> > $ got ref -l refs/tags | wc -l
> >     3446
> > $ got ref -l tags | wc -l
> >       27

I cloned a new copy of the repository and can't reproduce the
behavior there, so something is up with the old repository.

> My reading of got/got.c and lib/reference.c suggests that got ref -l tags
> will try to read references within the on-disk directory .git/tags/.
>
> Does the directory .git/tags/ exist?

No, it's not a git checkout.  It's a bare repository and got checkout.

> The index at https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/refs/ only lists branches,
> no tags at all.

It's two sections.  If you scroll down, there's a "Tag" section.

Or you can list them separately:
https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/refs/heads
https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/refs/tags

> Can you show the full output of got ref -l and also the output of
> 'ls tags' in your repo?

Now we're getting somewhere.  The contents of refs/tags/ correspond
to the output of "ref -l tags".  I can send you the full outputs
off-list, but looking at the contents and timestamps of objects/pack/
and refs/tags/, I think that I must have run "git gc" and the contents
of ref/tags/ reflect the tags that have been added since.