From:
op@omarpolo.com
Re: got-notify-http: fix unicode handling
To:
Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Thu, 04 Apr 2024 11:44:06 +0200

Il 2024-03-28 09:45 Stefan Sperling ha scritto:
> Does the use of U+FFFD do something specific in JSON?
> What about using '?' like we do in openbsd base tools?

I forgot to address this point, sorry.  U+FFFD is, IME, commonly used
when encountering a decoding issue and aborting is not an option.  It
could be used as a hint on the decoding side that there was an error in
the original decoding of the message, although I'm not sure how many
people are gonna check for it.  A '?' is a better option on user-facing
programs.

Given this, I think both can work out well in practice, and will be
happy to change the U+FFFD REPLACEMENT CHARACTER to a '?' if preferred.