From:
Re: regress: do not use job control in a non-interactive shell
To:
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2024 17:44:12 +0200

On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 05:26:52PM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> In practice, timeout(1) is now available across Linux and all BSDs
> (Free, Net, Open, Dragonfly), so I guess avoiding it is a pointless
> exercise.

And also MacOS it seems. At least I haven't heard of this being
a problem there, either.

> I'm still unhappy about
> * the use of %1 in a non-interactive shell,
> * setting but never resetting a trap that swats at some process,
> * exiting on error without terminating the server and relying on
>   timeout to kill it.

Yes, I agree that these issues should be fixed.
Could you tweak your diff to this effect, while leaving the timeout in place?
Or are these two approaches incompatible somehow?