From:
Re: gotadmin init -t sha256 ?
To:
Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2024 22:42:58 +0200

On Tue, Jul 16, 2024 at 02:29:29PM +0200, Omar Polo wrote:
> Here's two more sha256-related diffs that are small enough to fit one
> mail.
>
> The first is to enable the creation of sha256 repos via `init -t sha256'.
> Opinions about this?  We have now enough feature to work (albeit locally
> only) on sha256 repos so we might as well allow people to create them.
>
> (GOT_HASH_SHA1 is hardcoded only when creating repos via git/cvg clone
> since the network protocol doesn't support sha256 -- we'll need to
> implement the v2 of it.  Actually maybe I should add a warning against
> fetch/send in sha256 repos.)
>
> The second one is to show the object-format in the gotadmin info output
> which is something I believe it's handy.
>
> Ideas/better verbiage/oks/etc? :)

> +.It Fl t Ar format
> +Select the hashing function to use.

My only concern is the mixed bag of terms all of which try to convey
the same thing: object format type hashing function hash algorithm

Can we keep this simpler somehow?

Which terms to use is aribtrary but we should pick a subset and then
stick to that.

In the code we use 'algo' everywhere. I suppose we should converge
towards similar terminology in the UI:

.It Fl A Ar hashing-algorithm
Configure the repository's
.Ar hashing-algorithm
used for the computation of Git object IDs.
Possible values are
.Cm sha1
.Pq the default
or