From:
Re: [patch] preserve and show author dates
To:
"Sven M. Hallberg" <pesco@khjk.org>
Cc:
Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name>, gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2024 20:09:59 +1000

Sven M. Hallberg <pesco@khjk.org> wrote:
> Here's the updated diff split into four parts:
>
> - got rebase and supporting changes
> - cvg analogues
> - tog: pressing '@' shows author dates
> - tog: add "orig" header in Diff view
>
> I backed out my changes to got log entirely, including the light
> refactor of splitting out the printing of a date header into its own
> function.
>
> I left the "orig" header in tog's Diff view because AFAICT it only
> appears when viewing single commits. That leaves a way to view these
> timestamps beside 'got cat' and (at date granularity) by pressing '@' in
> tog. The latter also still makes sense, I think.

I'm admittedly not a fan of displaying the author date in the first
place as I thought stsp made a good argument for not showing it, and in
my own workflow I've never needed it. But if we are going to display it,
I would prefer it be behind an explicit toggle in the diff view. Perhaps
'@' as it is in the log view to toggle the commit author. This way it is
still available for users who want this information without consuming
screen estate for users who aren't interested in having the author date
displayed. Similarly, perhaps rather than display the "orig: $authordate"
line in addition to the existing "date: " line when this keymap is
toggled, it simply replaces the committer date with the author date in
the existing "date: " line.

--
Mark Jamsek <https://bsdbox.org>
GPG: F2FF 13DE 6A06 C471 CA80  E6E2 2930 DC66 86EE CF68