From:
Re: got reintegrate
To:
Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name>
Cc:
Evan Silberman <evan@jklol.net>, gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2019 22:33:58 +1100

On 15 Oct 2019, at 10:10 pm, Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 08:42:25PM +1100, Mark Jamsek wrote:
>> Knowing what it does, ‘reintegrate’ makes sense perhaps
>> even ‘integrate’ could work.
>
> You and Evan both have made this suggestion, so this will likely
> come up again. I am now convinced that we should drop the 're-'
> prefix and call this command "got integrate". This is still close
> enough to be recognizable to SVN users, and is shorter to type.

I like the change, and agree on both counts.

> Grammatical question: Would native English speakers use "integrate into"?
> I was thinking perhaps "integrate with" was more correct, however when
> phrased like that the implied hint at the direction in which changes flow
> between branches is lost.

Both are correct and can be used interchangeably but also used in distinct
situations. For example, I might integrate my existing repos with my new
sr.ht git host; but I’ll slowly integrate Python 3 into my old Python 2.7
codebase.

In fact, ‘integrate into’ suggests merging a part into a larger part or
whole, which is more apt in this situation.