From:
Tracey Emery <tracey@traceyemery.net>
Re: got histedit -m: edit log messages only
To:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2020 07:48:26 -0700

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 10:43:47AM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 10:10:10AM -0700, Tracey Emery wrote:
> > > +Edit log messages only.
> > > +This option is a quick equivalent to a histedit script which edits
> > > +only log messages but otherwise uses every commit as-is.
> >
> > Should this be "leaves every commit as-is," or am I misunderstanding?
>
> Yes, if that sounds better to you as a native speaker that works for me.
>
> My goal is to convey that the resulting script looks like:
>
>  pick adcfde123456...
>  mesg
>  pick 09876dcbafgh...
>  mesg
>
> And so on.
>
> The term 'pick' came from Mercurial, but "the commit will be picked"
> just sounds weird to me. The effect of 'pick' is documented as
> "the commit will be used". This is where "used" came from and I
> have carried this phrasing over to several places in the man page.
>
> Though I'll admit "use" may not be the greatest way to phrase it,
> and it's apparently unclear that the reader is supposed to associate
> the "pick" command when reading this.
>
> Other ideas? Should we just say "picked"?

Since we are in the context of just editing the history, "leaves every
picked commit as is" makes more sense in context to me. Does anyone else
have an opinion on the verbiage? Now that I've seen your explanation and
read further up the man page, I understand why you decided to got with
"uses every commit." Without the explanation, I don't know that I would
have tied the two together.

--

Tracey Emery