From:
Re: Editor being ignored?
To:
Scott Bennett <sbennett1990@gmail.com>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2021 08:36:15 +0100

On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 12:13:06AM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
> It appears as though got is ignoring my editor preference.
>
> I use xterm(1), and I prefer my command-line editing mode to be emacs style
> and my screen editor to be vi(1). So I have the following environment
> variables set:
>
> 	$ echo $SHELL
> 	/bin/ksh
> 	$ echo $VISUAL
> 	emacs
> 	$ echo $EDITOR
> 	vi
>
> But in a worktree with staged changes, ed(1) is spawned instead of vi(1):

Hmmm. I would expect emacs to be launched because VISUAL is checked first.
EDITOR is used as a fallback if VISUAL is empty.

Is there perhaps some problem with launching emacs?

> 	$ got commit
> 	91
> 	^D
> 	got: no changes made to commit message, aborting
>
> I'm using got on 6.8 -stable, version 0.42. Is there something I'm missing?
> I have a fuzzy memory that this configuration worked as I expected at some
> point between OpenBSD 6.7 and 6.8, but I can confirm the above behavior on
> both 6.7 -stable and 6.8 -stable.
>
> If this was a bug that was fixed in -current, then I'll patiently wait for
> 6.9, and please excuse the noise :)

You can install got -current in parallel on 6.8-stable for testing purposes:

mkdir ~/bin
git clone --bare https://git.gameoftrees.org/got.git
got co got.git
cd got
make obj
make
make install

The latest development version is now installed in $HOME/bin/got.