From:
Scott Bennett <sbennett1990@gmail.com>
Re: Editor being ignored?
To:
Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2021 09:19:58 -0500

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 08:36:15 +0100, Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 12:13:06AM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
> > It appears as though got is ignoring my editor preference.
> >
> > I use xterm(1), and I prefer my command-line editing mode to be emacs style
> > and my screen editor to be vi(1). So I have the following environment
> > variables set:
> >
> > 	$ echo $SHELL
> > 	/bin/ksh
> > 	$ echo $VISUAL
> > 	emacs
> > 	$ echo $EDITOR
> > 	vi
> >
> > But in a worktree with staged changes, ed(1) is spawned instead of vi(1):
>
> Hmmm. I would expect emacs to be launched because VISUAL is checked first.
> EDITOR is used as a fallback if VISUAL is empty.
>
> Is there perhaps some problem with launching emacs?

That very well could be part of the problem. However, emacs the editor scares
me, so I try to stick to vi :)  The reason I set EDITOR and VISUAL as above is
because if I only set $EDITOR=vi, then the command-line editing mode becomes
vi style, which is much less pleasant than emacs style.
However, got will then launch vi(1) successfully in that case.

> > If this was a bug that was fixed in -current, then I'll patiently wait for
> > 6.9, and please excuse the noise :)
>
> You can install got -current in parallel on 6.8-stable for testing purposes:
>
> mkdir ~/bin
> git clone --bare https://git.gameoftrees.org/got.git
> got co got.git
> cd got
> make obj
> make
> make install
>
> The latest development version is now installed in $HOME/bin/got.

Thanks for that pointer! I will test this out after work and report if
there's a behavior difference.