From:
Re: Editor being ignored?
To:
Scott Bennett <sbennett1990@gmail.com>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 08:41:19 +0100

  • Omar Polo:

    Editor being ignored?

  • Scott Bennett <sbennett1990@gmail.com> writes:

    > It appears as though got is ignoring my editor preference.
    >
    > I use xterm(1), and I prefer my command-line editing mode to be emacs style
    > and my screen editor to be vi(1). So I have the following environment
    > variables set:

    Sorry for the dumb question, but as I have been bitten by this in the
    past I have to ask: are you *sure* the VISUAL and EDITOR variable are
    actually exported?

    i.e.
    	$ export VISUAL=emacs
    	$ got commit

    it's easy to forget the export :)

    (you can also check with env(1).)

    > 	$ echo $SHELL
    > 	/bin/ksh
    > 	$ echo $VISUAL
    > 	emacs

    P.S.: shameless self-advertisement, but I see you're using emacs so.
    I'm working on a Emacs VC' backend for got[0] and, while it's not
    complete yet, it's usable on a day-to-day base.

    [0]: https://github.com/omar-polo/vc-got/

    > 	$ echo $EDITOR
    > 	vi
    >
    > But in a worktree with staged changes, ed(1) is spawned instead of vi(1):
    >
    > 	$ got commit
    > 	91
    > 	^D
    > 	got: no changes made to commit message, aborting
    >
    > I'm using got on 6.8 -stable, version 0.42. Is there something I'm missing?
    > I have a fuzzy memory that this configuration worked as I expected at some
    > point between OpenBSD 6.7 and 6.8, but I can confirm the above behavior on
    > both 6.7 -stable and 6.8 -stable.
    >
    > If this was a bug that was fixed in -current, then I'll patiently wait for
    > 6.9, and please excuse the noise :)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott Bennett

  • Omar Polo: