From:
Scott Bennett <sbennett1990@gmail.com>
Re: Editor being ignored?
To:
Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2021 09:30:05 -0500

  • Omar Polo:

    Editor being ignored?

  • On Mon, 01 Mar 2021 08:41:19 +0100, Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com> wrote:
    > Scott Bennett <sbennett1990@gmail.com> writes:
    > > I use xterm(1), and I prefer my command-line editing mode to be emacs style
    > > and my screen editor to be vi(1). So I have the following environment
    > > variables set:
    >
    > Sorry for the dumb question, but as I have been bitten by this in the
    > past I have to ask: are you *sure* the VISUAL and EDITOR variable are
    > actually exported?
    >
    > i.e.
    > 	$ export VISUAL=emacs
    > 	$ got commit
    >
    > it's easy to forget the export :)
    >
    > (you can also check with env(1).)

    Yes, I am sure VISUAL and EDITOR are exported (via .profile):

    	$ env | egrep '(EDITOR|VISUAL)'
    	VISUAL=emacs
    	EDITOR=vi

    > P.S.: shameless self-advertisement, but I see you're using emacs so.
    > I'm working on a Emacs VC' backend for got[0] and, while it's not
    > complete yet, it's usable on a day-to-day base.
    >
    > [0]: https://github.com/omar-polo/vc-got/

    That sounds like an awesome project! Good luck to you, however I actually
    don't prefer emacs-the-editor. I like the command-line editing mode in
    xterm(1) to be emacs style, but I cut my unix teeth on vi(1) so that's
    my preferred editor.

  • Omar Polo:

    Editor being ignored?