From:
Thomas Adam <thomas@xteddy.org>
Re: Pointer sign warnings
To:
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2021 13:34:59 +0100

  • Thomas Adam:

    Pointer sign warnings

  • On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 04:48:40PM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

    Hello all,

    > How do we want to handle this?  Adapt the world to Got or vice versa?
    >
    > We could add -Wno-pointer-sign to -portable.  It's what I did for
    > my existing FreeBSD port.

    Indeed.  I think we can take a balanced-approch here, in terms of fixing
    anything which will benefit Got itself, but which won't break it in some
    unusual way.  I often find some compiler warnings, especially in more recent
    versions of GCC/Clang are becoming very pedantic to the point where they can
    even be false-positives.

    As things evolve in -portable though, it's likely we'll find some -portble
    specific fixes might be required, especially if that's in any compat code
    which is included.

    All of that being said, if you take a look at the 'ta/update-flags', I've
    pushed a commit there which will propagate out AM_CFLAGS and AM_CPPFLAGS.

    Have a look at Makefile.common.in to see what I've enabled.

    I've deliberately turned on a fair few warnings just to see how "bad" things
    are.  I'm definitely seeing more warnings coming from FreeBSD with the
    AM_FLAGS I've set, but that will be down to Clang's view of the word, compared
    to GCC which seems to be slightly more relaxed.  This is a good thing though
    as we should consider both sets of warnings.

    We should definitely look at tweaking/changing the flags set in AM_CFLAGS
    though as we probably don't care about all of them as some of them are
    probably just creating noise.

    Once that's done, and we've agreed on it, we can start to address the
    warnings.

    Any questions, do please shout!

    Kindly,
    Thomas