From:
Re: Progress bars
To:
Ted Bullock <tbullock@comlore.com>
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2022 11:36:07 +0100

On Mon, Feb 07, 2022 at 08:05:57PM -0700, Ted Bullock wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Using got on the older system has been a bit of a trial in patience,
> specifically some operations like commit and status take a fair amount
> of time to complete on my setup.  I'm not certain if a progress bar or %
> complete status makes sense but it would be useful to indicate that
> indeed things are happening and all is well.
>
> While I've been writing this, I have been waiting for a commit operation
> to complete and have stepped away to talk to family, rummaged around the
> fridge and read a wikipedia article, also since it still wasn't complete
> I opened up top on a different terminal just to make sure it hadn't
> become stuck.
>
> Anyway... progress bars; some sanity for those of us living with
> stupidly slow devices. Just a thought :P

Our commit implementation is quite slow.
There should be ways to speed it up significantly, which would hopefully
make additional progress indication unnecessary.

Alternatively, we could try to add some output that runs during early
stages of the command. But I am not sure if the additional noise would
be worth it.