From:
Re: [patch] filter log by author pattern
To:
Mikhail <mp39590@gmail.com>
Cc:
Evan Silberman <evan@jklol.net>, gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2022 22:40:19 +0200

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 11:08:22PM +0300, Mikhail wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 09:20:43PM +0200, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > > Well, just got what you probably meant - one is supposed to write full
> > > author info, like 'stsp@openbsd.org' to get proper result, so probably
> > > -S matching author/committer is a right way.
> >
> > Yes. If a regex matches things you don't want to see, then the regex
> > can be improved to match only the things you want to see.
>
> One thing which came to my mind - using 'got log' in scripts for
> statistics, with '-a' one can be 100% sure to get proper results, but
> with -S by an author we can hit more matches, if somebody will put an
> email in commit message.

The main goal of -S is to support interactive search.
For scripting one could use Git, or parse the output of 'got cat',
or parse 'got log | grep ^from:', or write a custom Got frontend in C
which reads the desired data from commit objects in code.