From:
Re: tog: user-defined keymap timeout
To:
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2022 22:26:33 +1000

  • Christian Weisgerber:

    tog: user-defined keymap timeout

  • On 22-06-28 02:14pm, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
    > Mark Jamsek:
    >
    > > As Stefan suggested in the original thread, enable user-defined timeout
    > > for compound keymaps, configurable with an envvar. This also increases
    > > the default value to 1 second (up from 0.5s).
    >
    > Why do we even need a timeout if the number is echoed?
    > The search prompt does not time out either.

    I think the search prompt is a bit different to the count prefix; at
    least it behaves differently in vi(1) (i.e., the search term is
    echoed and has no timeout but the count prefix doesn't echo and does
    have a timeout), which is the same behaviour as tog. This is again
    different to less(1) though.

    > I don't understand what problem this is trying to solve.

    With the timeout you don't need to press anything to abort a prefix.
    Without the timeout, you need to either follow through with a keymap or
    enter some non-numeric, non-valid keymap to cancel a partial count.

    For example:

    # without timeout
    12 # actually, I wanted 22
    x # invalid keymap to cancel the 12
    22j

    # with timeout
    12 # I wanted 22, wait 500ms
    22j

    That's how I use it. I'm not sure if there are any other benefits.

    --
    Mark Jamsek <fnc.bsdbox.org>
    GPG: F2FF 13DE 6A06 C471 CA80  E6E2 2930 DC66 86EE CF68

  • Christian Weisgerber:

    tog: user-defined keymap timeout