From:
Re: tog: user-defined keymap timeout
To:
Cc:
gameoftrees@openbsd.org
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2022 00:29:01 +1000

On 22-06-29 12:46am, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Mark Jamsek:
>
> > I think the search prompt is a bit different to the count prefix; at
> > least it behaves differently in vi(1) (i.e., the search term is
> > echoed and has no timeout but the count prefix doesn't echo and does
> > have a timeout),
>
> I was going to say that I had never known until now that the count
> prefix had a timeout in vi(1)... but I just tried it and there is
> no timeout.

You're right! I completely misremembered. I did a quick grep of the man
page before posting too but didn't actually read the timeout entry--just
confirmed it was there.

> > Without the timeout, you need to either follow through with a keymap or
> > enter some non-numeric, non-valid keymap to cancel a partial count.
>
> And that is fine.

In any case, while I like the timeout, I'm not strongly attached to it
and am happy to run with what you think is best. I don't want to
continue with the diff if you think we should can it. The only other
thing related to this that I plan on doing if there are no objections is
implement the nG behaviour like vi(1) and less(1).

--
Mark Jamsek <fnc.bsdbox.org>
GPG: F2FF 13DE 6A06 C471 CA80  E6E2 2930 DC66 86EE CF68