From:
Re: tog: todo item #2 respond to key presses while "loading..."
To:
Mark Jamsek <mark@jamsek.com>
Cc:
Game of Trees <gameoftrees@openbsd.org>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2022 23:36:46 +0200

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 12:58:26AM +1000, Mark Jamsek wrote:
> On 22-08-12 04:39PM, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 11:51:32PM +1000, Mark Jamsek wrote:
> > > I thought I'd have a quick look at this before zzz but I'm not sure it
> > > can be so simple so I'm looking for further testing.
> > >
> > > I've been playing with this in src.git for a bit and it appears to work
> > > as you'd expect: you can open other views, navigate the log, and even
> > > quit tog while all ~221k commits are loading. Once they're all loaded,
> > > if you {are in,return to} the log view, the last commit is selected.
> > >
> > > This was a great suggestion btw, it's a huge boon for large repos!
> >
> > Yes, this seems to work fine during initial testing. Searching in the
> > log view itself seems to work fine as well, while commits are loading.
> >
> > My main worry would be crashes due to bugs in the threading.
> > Such bugs will only be discovered during regular usage, so we could go
> > ahead with this patch and see what happens.
>
> This was my main concern so I was trying to educe a crash by opening new
> log views and jumping to the end again (G, R, G, return, G) but it all
> worked!
>
> I'll commit it now and hopefully wider use will reveal any problems.
> Thanks for testing this, Stefan.

Here is a case where movement doesn't seem to work while loading:

	tog log path

Where path is any file in a deep history that has seen few changes.
The top-level Makefile in OpenBSD src.git is one such file.