From:
Re: E-mail list archive?
To:
Thomas Adam <thomas@xteddy.org>
Cc:
Nick Holland <nick@holland-consulting.net>, Game of Trees <gameoftrees@openbsd.org>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2022 23:35:26 +0200

On 2022/08/29 21:52:15 +0100, Thomas Adam <thomas@xteddy.org> wrote:
> Hi Omar,
>
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 at 21:39, Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > On 2022/08/19 11:48:26 -0400, Nick Holland <nick@holland-consulting.net> wrote:
> > > Hello,

> > > I looked on marc.info, and see anything, and didn't see a reference
> > > on the gameoftrees.org website.
> > >
> > > Nick.
> >
> > There is one now! \o/
> >
> >         https://marc.gameoftrees.org/
> >
> > It's just a static web archive so it lacks some features (like search)
> > but I hope it'll be useful nevertheless.
>
> This looks amazing, and just what many have been asking for!  Thanks
> for putting this together.
>
> Before there's a tendency for this to accrue patches, etc., did you
> happen to look into public-inbox?
>
> https://public-inbox.org/README.html
>
> I'm not sure how difficult it is to set up, but I suspect that will
> take care of any heavy-lifting, such as searching.

I've taken a look at public-inbox a few times, but at least for me it
never 'clicked'.  Furthermore, I was looking more at something that
would generate a set of static files to serve with httpd rather than a
full-blown web application.

I tried to use bubger -- which has an amazing design IMHO -- but it
didn't like some of the emails i have in my local got maildir.  I've
emailed the authors to let them know, but while waiting for a reply I
thought I could hack something around mblaze and it worked, so here we
are :)

To be fair I'm not expecting this to attract many patches!  (or any
patch at all.)  There are a few TODO items left, like having URLs
turned into links or somehow linking commits which would be cool, but
otherwise I think it's done.  (famous last words?)

(if you're bored, got' TODO has more interesting entries ;-)

I agree that lacking a search facility is a big drawback.  We can get
that form some web companies at least, and the web archive doesn't
rule out a possible future inclusion in marc.info.